Monday, April 24, 2017
- Congratulations to the following students for being invited to attend the 2017 Summer Residential Governor’s school: Elizabeth Kraisinger for Humanities, Dina Liacopouos for NASA Mentorship, Kathleen Love for Agriculture, Nathan Snyder and Drew Sullivan for Math, Science, & Technology, and Colleen Dugan and Casey Fishman for Foreign Language
- Cheerleading green days will begin today, April 24 and will be held on all Tuesdays and Thursdays through the end of May. All are welcome in the aux gym from 3:30-5 pm. You must have a valid VHSL physical on file in the activities office to participate.
- If you missed the live performances of the One Person Shows shows (and even if you didn’t), you still have the chance to see a stunning exhibit of photographs of each of the shows, taken by Jim Coates, a local professional photographer. The large-format photos will be on display at Cassatt’s Kiwi Café (4536 Lee Hwy, Arlington), from April 24 – May 7, 2017. Cassatt’s will also run a “dine-out week” from April 24 – 30, during which time a portion of proceeds will benefit Yorktown Theatre, when you mention Yorktown Theatre to your server (applies to lunch and dinner).
- Girls – are you interested in becoming a firefighter or ems officer? Check out CAMP HEAT, JULY 6-9, 2017. Take part in a free fourday overnight camp designed to introduce females ages 1518 to firefighting and emergency medical services. Learn about fitness, nutrition, emergency medical care, fire science and teamwork while participating in handson activities. Experience the everyday life of a firefighter/EMT and eat dinner with onduty crews at an Arlington County Fire Station. Get a taste of college life with overnight stays at Marymount University. For more information and to apply, visit fire.arlingtonva.us
- Yorktown Bands invite all members of the Yorktown community to join us for the 6th annual Chili Cook-off. Students and staff, individuals and groups, are encouraged to enter their chili in the competition. Details on entering are at http://yorktownband.org/. The showdown will be on Saturday, April 29 from noon to 2:30 in the Yorktown cafeteria. All are welcome to eat delicious chili and enjoy live music, including the Yorktown Big Band.