Below are today’s Daily Announcements; to see today’s Dailies, as well as past episodes, check our Vimeo page here: See The Dailies!!!
To Submit an announcement for the Dailies, email Mr. Sheppard at Adam.Sheppard@apsva.us.
The Week of Monday, September 21, 2020
- Musicians, The Application window for Tri-M Music Honor Society will be open shortly. Ask you music teacher for more details, or contact Mr. Bersh at email@example.com
- There are two important upcoming webinar sessions by Our Minds Matter, a national student-led movement to change school culture around mental health, specifically for TEENS— on Sept 23, is a Mindfulness Workshop and on Sept 30, there is Making Self-Care Actionable. Please register for one or both webinars at: bit.ly/ommsummit2020. Learn more about the movement at: ourmindsmatter.org/
- For the past decade, the USA Science & Engineering Festival has been proud to offer the largest and only national science festival with thousands of hands-on activities. This year’s festival will be a FREE Virtual Festival called “SciFest All Access” for all interested students, educators, and families. Virtually experience exhibit booths featuring hands-on interactive STEM content, get an all-access pass to exclusive performances on the STEM Stage, participate in the Scavenger Hunt, and launch a STEM career in the College Career Center. From music to experiments to magic there’s something for everyone. SciFest takes place September 26- October 3; for information & registration go to: usasciencefestival.org
- Interested in Participating in Athletics at Yorktown This Year? Students who are interested in playing a sport for Yorktown this year should download the Team App and sign up for those sports which they wish to receive information about. Communication about preseason conditioning, interest meetings and tryout procedures will be disseminated via Team App. Join the Pre-season Training 2020-21 group for any and all sports you are interested in.
Join a Club by Visiting the Activities Canvas Page. All students should already be enrolled in the Activities Canvas page which provides brief descriptions of all the clubs and activities Yorktown has to offer. Did you know we have over 40 different clubs and are adding more each week. You can self-enroll to receive additional information about any clubs you are interested in directly on the club’s information page. Club meetings typically begin in mid to late September so join now. Here is some information from a few of the clubs that you can join:
- For those who need a safe space to be who they are come to gsa! Gender sexuality alliance is virtual this year every Monday at 3:30. Come together to participate in advocacy from home and chats about current lgbtq issues, as well as queer literature and lgbtq movies! Please contact Ms. Cordova for more information
- All those interested in joining model general assembly this year please join the canvas course which can be accessed through the YHS activities Canvas course, or email Mr. Gibson or Ms. Cordova at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. The first interest meeting will be held on Friday September 25th at 3pm.
- Best Buddies will be having an interest meeting tomorrow, Tuesday September 22nd at 3:15. Please join our canvas class with code WX48WB or go through the YHS activities page. Fill out the google survey to get access to the meeting information or email our Co-Presidents. Please reach out if you have any questions. All are welcome!
- Yorktown Minds Matter Meets Mondays from 2:30-3:30 pm. This student-led club’s goals are to provide mental health supports and resources for all students, as well as to promote destigmatizing mental illness. ALL students are welcome to attend our virtual meeting. First, join the Canvas YHS MM Club site: Students can self-enroll in the course through this URL: https://apsva.instructure.com/enroll/KRAYLG
- Sports Data Analytics will meet every Monday on Teams at 12:45.
- Patriots Against Cancer will meet the first Tuesday of every month at 3:05.
For more information about these clubs and more, take a few minutes and check out the Activities Page on Canvas.