APS School Year 2022-2023 Gifted Services Information will be emailed through Naviance to parents and students. Parents, Guardians & Students: please add or update your email address to Naviance, if necessary.
YHS Gifted Services Contacts:
Ms. Eileen Wagner, YHS Resource Teacher for Gifted (RTG), Room 384, 703-228-5427
Ms. Suzanne Evans, YHS Assistant Principal
Gifted Services Parent Information Meeting:
September 2022 Back to School Slideshow to learn about APS Gifted Services, Resource Teacher for Gifted (RTG), Gifted Services @ YHS, and Programs for Advanced Learners (open with APS account).
Materials distributed at YHS Back to School Night (open with student APS account)
2023 VA Summer Residential Governor’s School information
APS Fine Arts Apprentice Program information
Summer 2023 for Gifted Learners:
VA Summer 2023 Residential Governor’s School for 10th & 11th grade applicants
Virginia Summer Residential Governor’s School & World Language Academies(Open links with APS student/ staff Google account)Applications are now available through VDOE for the Summer Residential Governor’s School & World Language Academies. These highly competitive programs are available to students who are currently in grades 10 and 11. Interested students and families should read the VDOE General Information for Students and Parents.
- Contact your school’s resource teacher for the gifted (RTG) if you are interested in applying for the Academic or Visual & Performing Arts programs
- All Governor’s School applications must be delivered to RTG by due dates on timelines (see below)
- Yorktown RTG: Eileen.Wagner@apsva.us
Students interested in applying to World Language Academies should contact their World Language teacher.
APS Summer 2023 Residential Governor’s School Visual and Performing Arts Timeline
APS Summer 2023 Residential Governor’s School Academic Timeline
APS Career Center PRIME Program 10th & 11th grade applicants
|Parent/Student Information Meeting||November 30, 2021 7:00 – 8:00 pm at Career Center|
|Application Forms Due||January 7, 2022|
|Two Letters of Recommendation Due||January 7, 2022|
|Interviews||January 24 thru February 11|
|PRIME Orientation||May 26, 2022|
|Target Date for Intern Placements||May 27, 2022|
|Internship Dates||July 5 – 29, 2022|
Contact: Arlington Career Center Director of Counseling, Louis Villafane, at 703-228-5741, email questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Virginia Association for the Gifted
- ENRICHMENT PROGRAMS AND OPPORTUNITIES IN VIRGINIA this is a comprehensive list of enrichment opportunities for gifted learners in Virginia. Please contact the individual groups listed to find out more about their programs.
- BLAST: Summer Program for STEM at a Virginia university campus, for current 9th grade students. DEADLINES: Application Opens:November 2022 Application Closes:February 2023
- STEM Camps and Programs Outside of APS
Yorktown High School recognizes students’ academic rigor and achievement as Yorktown Scholars. The purpose is to recognize students at graduation who have completed and performed well in college level courses (Advanced Placement and Dual Enrollment) during their years at Yorktown High School.
- Coursework and Grade requirements: : Students are required to complete at least 6 college level courses and earn final grades of B or higher in all classes (with a one- time exception of a C or C+ final grade in one class). All students who meet the coursework and grade requirements will be recognized as a Yorktown Scholar at their graduation ceremony through the wearing of an honor cord.
YHSGifted on Twitter
Eileen B Wagner@YHSGifted
Eileen B Wagner@YHSGifted
Arlington Public Schools Gifted Services
- All Grade Levels: APS Gifted Services webpage
- APS HS PRIME summer internship program for current 10th & 11th grade: https://careercenter.apsva.us/prime/
- APS HS Fine Arts Apprentice Program for current 9th, 10th, & 11th grade: https://www.apsva.us/arts-education-overview/fine-arts-apprentice-program/
- Resources and Organizations Supporting Gifted Learners, Parents and Teachers: https://www.apsva.us/gifted-services/parent-resources/
- Podcasts, Webinars and Other Recordings to Support Your Child: https://www.apsva.us/gifted-services/parent-resources/parenting-gifted-children/
- Online Learning – Supporting Gifted Children at Home: https://www.apsva.us/gifted-services/parent-resources/supporting-gifted-children-at-home/
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Reopening School – Fall 2020 https://www.apsva.us/gifted-services/frequently-asked-questions-faq/
Virginia Curricular Resources for Advanced Learners
- Virginia Department of Education: Gifted Education
- 2e Newsletter
- Center for Creative Learning
- National Association for Gifted Children
- Northern Virginia Writing Project
- Summer Program for High School Students at Georgetown University
- University of VA Summer Enrichment Program
- William and Mary College Focusing on the Future
- Virginia Association for Gifted Children