Below is partial list of programs and activities; cost, location, dates, and deadlines vary.
Arlington Public Schools does not sponsor, endorse, recommend or screen the companies whose offers are posted here. Families and students are reminded to complete their own research on these individuals or companies to determine if they wish to engage in any of their opportunities or services.
VOLUNTEER – ENRICHMENT – INTERNSHIPS
- Arlington Independent Media/Document Historic Arlington A TV production apprenticeship program open to APS high school students, Feb-Jun.
- Arlington Public Schools Fine Arts Apprentice Program: Deadline: Early March, The Program provides specialized experiences beyond the regular art, music and drama curriculum for selected high school students (rising 10th, 11th, or 12th graders).
- Arlington Student Film Fest Arlington Student Film Fest invites K-12 students from all over Arlington Virginia to enter their original short films
- Arlington Teens Arlington county government sponsored resource for high school students:
- Arlington Teen Network Board The board is comprised of high school students who meet in groups to address specific issues such as drugs and alcohol, health and wellness, teen employment, and volunteer/community service options for teens.
- Aspire After-School Learning Volunteer opportunities for high school students to continue the Reading Connection legacy in Arlington County.
- Bank of America Student Leaders For juniors and seniors participate in an 8-week paid internship at a local nonprofit organization and work 35 hours a week.
- Constitutional Academy, Washington, D.C. A week of deep discussions on critical issues and interaction with scholars, policy-makers, and national thought leaders.
- EF International Language Campuses Learn a language abroad on the adventure of a lifetime. See the world, experience a new culture. Program has over 100 countries to prepare for you for your global future. Study from two weeks to a year.
- Families USA Internships dedicated to high-quality, affordable health care for all through health advocacy campaigns, public policy, and collaboration.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Teen Academy High school student learn about FBI’s law enforcement, counter-terrorism, intelligence, leadership and training.
- Health and Human Services (HHS) Pathways Program – Student Summer Pathways Intern and the Recent Graduates Program provide paid opportunities to work in agencies and explore federal careers.
- HS Navigator ™: HS Navigator is a one-stop search tool for finding pre-college summer program or internship or volunteer opportunities high school students.
- Latino Internship with Environment for the Americas and USDA Forest Service. Ages 18+, Rosslyn. Interns will develop bilingual (English/Spanish) presentations, outreach materials and web content, work in environmental education.
- Library of Congress: A work-study opportunity for high school students, usually seniors, to volunteer at the Library of Congress. Applications accepted at any time.
- National Institutes of Health An opportunity to spend a summer working at the NIH side-by-side with some of the leading scientists in the world, in an environment devoted exclusively to biomedical research. March 1
- National Security Agency’s Gifted and Talented Program– Open to high school seniors with an aptitude for Engineering, Math and Science. Work 10 to 12 weeks during the summer following their senior year. Applications are accepted Sept. – Oct.
- National Youth Congress – Ages 14-18, 10 week paid internship with Arlington County Recreation Department.
- National Zoo Opportunities for volunteering include aiding animal keepers, interpreting animal behavior for visitors, maintaining Zoo grounds and gardens, and assisting with special events.
- Operation Understanding DC Creating a generation of community leaders who promote respect, understanding and cooperation while fighting to eradicate racism, anti-Semitism and all forms of discrimination.
- Parks and Recreations Programs for Teens: Volunteer, Internship, Paid positions, Summer Camps for Arlington County Students.
- Phoenix Bikes: Gain skills as a bike mechanic, earn a new bike, learn leadership skills
- Prime Program (Arlington Public Schools): Apply by December, 25 gifted students, age16+ Work with mentors matching career interest (summer and school year).
- Secret Service Student Volunteer Service – This program is for students interested in working for the Secret Service. The program does not involve protecting anyone. In fact, most assignments are clerical. Participants must be high school students with at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA, 16 years old, and United States citizens.
- Senate Page Leadership Program – 13-14-year-olds in Richmond to work in the Senate of Virginia or Virginia House of Delegates. 40-hour work week while congress is in session; Senate Page Leadership Program is an excused absence.
- The School of the New York Times New York City and Washington D.C. Translates the knowledge and practices of the New York Times into educational experiences for diverse high school learners during the summer or a gap year.
- Smithsonian YES (Youth Engagement through Science), The program runs from June-November, gives rising high school sophomores, juniors, and seniors practical experience through a hands-on science internship with Smithsonian science staff at the Museum Natural History.
- Student Conservation Association Live and work with a high school “crew” in a national park; approximately five-week summer commitment; must be at least 15 OR serve as a paid intern in a national park; must be at least 18.
- Travelers Aid International Volunteers are at the heart of Travelers Aid’s work at airports, bus and train stations. We exist to ensure that people in transit receive assistance when and where it is needed in communities and travel hubs.
- U.S. Department of Education Internships: For 16+ students interested in a federal career or in public service. Gain work experience in education issues.
- Volunteer Arlington An up-to-date list of volunteer needs in the Arlington community. Search a volunteer matching tool for opportunities available in the VA/MD/DC Area.
- Youth Leadership Greater Washington A five-month, youth leadership and community programs in diversity, arts, health, public service and community service.
- Young Writers Workshop Participants learn strategies to invent, develop, and revise material using language, imagination, craft, sight, and insight.
- WWOOFER Volunteer with organic farmers to promote cultural and educational experiences based on trust and non-monetary exchange. As a volunteer (or WWOOFer), you will live alongside your host, experiencing life as a farmer.
Also see Gifted Services’ Enrichment, Pre-College and internship page
- Amigos de las Americas – DC CHAPTER
- Earthwatch Institute
- Experiment in International Living
- Interlocken at Windsor Mountain, NH
- Putney Student Travel
- Student Conservation Association
- Virginia State Parks Youth Conservation Corps
- Visions Service Adventures
PROGRAMS BY COLLEGES
American University https://www.american.edu/summer/precollege/high-school-summer-scholars.cfm
Georgetown University https://summer.georgetown.edu/
George Mason University https://camps.gmu.edu/
George Washington University https://summer.gwu.edu/precollege
University of Maryland https://oes.umd.edu/pre-college-programs
Virginia Commonwealth University https://arts.vcu.edu/academics/pre-college-prep/
PROGRAMS BY SUBJECT
- SUMMER PROGRAMS FOR STEM https://yhs.apsva.us/academics/gifted-education-services/math-science-and-technology/
- SUMMER PROGRAMS FOR HUMANITIES https://yhs.apsva.us/academics/gifted-education-services/humanities/
- SUMMER PROGRAMS FOR THE ARTS https://yhs.apsva.us/academics/gifted-education-services/arts/
- SUMMER PROGRAMS FOR SERVICE LEARNING https://yhs.apsva.us/academics/gifted-education-services/service-learning-opportunities/
- SUMMER PROGRAMS GIFTED STUDENTS https://yhs.apsva.us/academics/gifted-education-services/programs-for-gifted-students/
- SUMMER PROGRAMS OUTDOOR/NATURE https://calleva.org/summer-camp/2023-camps/
APPRENTICESHIP & INTERNSHIP SEARCH TOOLS
- Career Rookie: Internships, part-time jobs and entry-level careers.
- Chegg Internship search engine
- NOVA Workforce Offers in-demand, accelerated training options for new and current professionals.
- Virginia’s Department of Labor and Industry
- Registered Sponsors & Apprentice Occupations Search Search for apprenticeship opportunities, in various fields, by Virginia county
- U.S. Dept. of Labor-Employment & Training Administration Apprenticeship guidelines from the Bureau of Apprenticeship Training
- Apprenticeship Training Resources A website with information about apprenticeships including links to programs, videos about apprenticeships, and general information about apprenticeships
- American Culinary Federation, Inc. Apprenticeship Programs Provides contact information for all culinary apprenticeship programs in the U.S.
APPRENTICESHIPS BY CAREER
- Construction Craft Laborers’ Apprenticeships The Baltimore-Washington Laborers Training and Apprenticeship Centers prepare apprentices for entrance into the construction industry and is based in the DC-area.
- Telecommunications Apprenticeship Apprenticeships in the telecommunications industry provide workers with quality jobs and clear paths to rewarding careers in a growing sector of the economy.
- International Union of Operating Engineers Apprenticeships On-the-job training and classroom instruction in boiler operation and maintenance, air conditioning and refrigeration, practical chemistry, elementary physics, blueprint reading, applied electricity, instrumentation and controls, electronics, welding, direct digital controls, air balancing, indoor air quality, and other technical subjects.
- Iron Workers Apprenticeships Training and education related to blueprints, welding, rigging, safety and more is provided by Ironworkers Local #5 to apprentices
- Plumbers Apprenticeships Plumber apprentices assist plumber journey persons in the installation and and servicing of plumbing systems
- Steamfitting Apprenticeships Steamfitting apprentices learn to build and service heating, air conditioning and refrigeration systems.
VOLUNTEER OR PAID INTERNSHIP
- Action Without Borders (Idealist.org) Search an international database of public service internships
- AmeriCorps A network of service programs designed to meet our country’s critical needs in education, public safety, health, and the environment; living allowance plus an educational award of $4,725 towards college expenses; must be at least 18
- City Year One-year full-time service commitment in a US community or South Africa; weekly stipend plus an educational award of $4,725 towards college expenses; must be at least 17
- Job Corps Educational and vocational training program; live and work in a Job Corps Center while you learn a trade, earn your high school diploma or GED, receive career counseling and graduate with a job; monthly allowance; must be at least 16
- Peace Corps Live and work in a developing country; 27 month service commitment; monthly living allowance; must be at least 18
PROGRAMS AT COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES
- Banson NYC Fashion Summer New York, NY. Designed for 9th through 12th grades students, on-site and on-line. Each week-long session will teach the students the fundamentals of the fashion industry by providing an insider\’s perspective.
- Boston Architectural College Summer Academy This is a design exploration program for HS students entering grades 10 and above. Students explore both fundamental design skills and critical thinking skills through drawing, collage, photography, model-making, and mapping complex systems.
- Bucknell University Summer Experience Spend a week living like a college student. Live in stay our residence halls, attend classes taught by Bucknell professors and develop problem-solving skills designed to help you make an impact on the world.
- Civic Leadership Institute; Programs located at Johns Hopkins University, Northwestern University and University of California Berkeley. A three-week summer service-learning program for outstanding students. The program combines hands-on education, meaningful service, powerful speakers and seminars, with a residential experience
- Cleveland State University Summer Odyssey, Cleveland, Ohio School of Film and Media Arts offers learning opportunities for young filmmakers aged 13-18, Residential and day programs
- College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA Rising senior and newly graduated high school students can take full-credit classes during our summer sessions. This is an excellent way to get a taste of academic life at a highly selective university.
- Colorado College. Pre-College Summer Program. A program specially designed for ambitious high school students. Opportunities to immerse themselves in the rhythm of the Block Plan and experience living on Colorado College’s campus CC’s summer session provides students with a rich opportunity to explore challenging academics, get inspired by the wondrous Rocky Mountain Region, and be supported by faculty that are invested in your success.
- Cornell University Summer Programs, Ithaca, NYCornell’s Summer College offers pre-college programs for motivated high school students. Experience college life and take college courses with renowned faculty.
- Emory and Henry College Leadership Institute Emory, VA The program offers a unique mix of learning activities designed to broaden academic interest and expose students to a college like-setting while building student’s leadership skills.
- George Mason University Summer Camp Fairfax VA Academic, Visual & Performing Arts, Science & Technology, Recreation & Sports programs.
- George Mason’s Washington Youth Summit on the Environment & Field Ecology Conservation Program, Fairfax VA Interactive program that for highest-achieving students with interest in the environment, conservation, and sustainability, and with the desire to explore careers in the fields of environmental science, conservation, policy, law, and engineering.
- Georgetown’s Summer High School Programs; Washington, D.C. An immersive learning experience that prepares you with the tools needed for college success. Ranging in length from one to five weeks, our programs span many subjects, covering everything from forensic science and politics to creative writing and digital design.
- Johns Hopkins University Summer Pre-College Programs Opportunity to take JHU undergraduate level courses during the summer. In addition, to earning college credit, students experience life at Hopkins while living on campus and engaging in academic and social activities with their peers.
- Lebanon Valley College’s Actuarial Science Camp, Annville, PA Actuarial Science Summer Camps are week-long intensive programs for rising high school seniors designed to help them decide if they’re interested in actuarial careers.
- Loyola Marymount University Pre-College Summer Programs This is an engaging opportunity for motivated students to get a sneak peek at college life through a unique 2 week experience designed to challenge students’ critical & creative ways of thinking.
- New York University Pre-College Program More than 100 exciting courses and immerse yourself in the NYU experience during the six-week Precollege program. Boost your college readiness through courses and extracurricular programming designed just for Precollege students.
- SCAD Art and Design Summer Seminars Weeklong workshops for high school students who have completed their freshman, sophomore, or junior years. Students gain valuable experience while developing their creativity through exciting art and design projects.
- School of the Art Institute of Chicago: Early College Summer , Chicago, IL SAIC’s Early College Program is a great way to earn college credit and explore your passion for art at one of the most historically significant accredited independent schools of art and design in the nation, in the heart of Chicago. http://www.saic.edu/cs/high_school/summerinstituteresidencyprogram/
- Sorensen Institute’s High School Leaders Program A two week concentrated study in Virginia politics and government for high school students. The HSLP is based on a firm belief that young people not only can make a positive difference in their communities, they should be strongly encouraged to do so.
- Stanford Summer Institute, Stanford, CA. Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies advances the education of academically talented, intellectually curious, pre-college students. We offer a variety of programs designed to meet the needs of top students everywhere.
- Susquehanna University, Selingsgrove, PA. Offers exceptional a variety of summer educational institutes, ranked in the top 20 in the nation by Value Colleges and no. 21 by College Consensus. Our programs will allow you to get a taste of college life and challenge, inspire, and prepare you for the future. https://www.susqu.edu/academics/summer-pre-college-programs
- U.S. Coast Guard Academy Introduction Mission Summer Program, New London, CT AIM is exclusively for students preparing to enter their senior year of high school, AIM is now widely regarded as the most realistic service academy summer orientation program in the country. AIM will test and inspire those interested in serving their country and humanity.
- University of Virginia Cornerstone Summer Institute Charlottesville, VA A week-long summer camp where high school students learn about slavery and its legacies by exploring the University, Charlottesville, and area landmarks. email@example.com http://slavery.virginia.edu/cornerstone-summer-institute/
- Virginia Tech C-Tech2 Blacksburg, VA For female students going into 11 or 12 grade. Spending time involved in hands-on activities designed to increase your interest in and knowledge of engineering applications to real-world situations. https://eng.vt.edu/ceed/ceed-pre-college-programs/c-tech2.html
- Virginia Commonwealth University PIPELINE Richmond, VA Our Pipeline programs for high school students are designed to assist in the college and career decision-making. Learn from current college students, health care professionals, and researchers about the extensive and exciting options in the healthcare field.
- VCU Arts Pre-College Program, Richmond, VA Develop practical knowledge and skills to prepare you for college-level performing arts auditions and/or develop your application portfolio.
- Wellesley Pre-College Exploratory Workshops For High-school sophomore, junior & senior girls with a passion for topics in the Humanities, our 1 or 2-weeks workshops. Pre-College students will be challenged to think critically and engage deeply with unique academic topics.