Dear Yorktown Families,
Feels like fall at Yorktown! We have been enjoying the change in weather in the courtyard and outside. Our students have been stepping up to the academic challenges as we approach first quarter interims. They also are thriving in clubs, music, theater, art, and athletics. We encourage students to take advantage of the opportunities for academic support during Patriot Period, and also the many ways to get involved at Yorktown.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Dr. Kevin Clark, Principal
In this message:
- What’s Happening at Yorktown
- Counseling Corner
- Activities Updates
- Senior Updates
- Technology Corner
- Health and Safety Updates
- Upcoming Dates
WHAT’S HAPPENING AT YORKTOWN
Wednesday, October 5th, No School for Yom Kippur Observance
A reminder that there is no school, due to the APS observance of Yom Kippur.
Patriot Period and Advisory
Advisory meetings are on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Advisors will help students create academic and personal goals for the first quarter and begin to meet one on one with students for quick academic check-in meetings. Advisors may ask students to review grades and upcoming assignments, and then create an action plan for the following week. Students can also visit teachers, counselors, or work with peers on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
This coming week:
- Tuesday (10/4):
- Time Management Lesson (all grades except for seniors attending help sessions)
- Senior Post-Grad Plan Help Sessions in cafeteria
- Begin door decoration planning for Spirit Week (1970’s theme!)
- Thursday (10/6):
- Paper Tutorial Video (the new and FREE tutoring option for APS students) & Academic “quick check-in” meetings (9th-11th grade)
- Senior Class Meeting in Auditorium (important info about graduation and senior experience)
PSAT Day Wednesday, October 12th
On Wednesday, October 12th, all 10th and 11th grade students have the opportunity to take the PSAT/NMSQT at school. This will be an early release day, and students will be released at 12:35. Extended time testers will be released at 3:10. Bus transportation is only available at 3:10, so those who finish at 12:35 will need to arrange for transportation home.
9th and 12th grade students will have an asynchronous virtual day with up to 20 minutes of work per class (all seven periods) assigned through Canvas.
Hispanic Heritage Month
Today, Yorktown hosted Victoria Sanchez from ABC7/WJLA-TV. She shared with students her journey to a career in broadcast journalism, including the high school class and teacher who inspired her to pursue her current career. The session was well attended and students asked great questions. Thanks for the visit! Upcoming event:
- October 7 – Enjoy a presentation by a Peruvian dance team!
Equity Profile Dashboard & Community Conversations
You are invited to attend the upcoming Equity Profile Dashboard (EPD) Community Conversation, a virtual meeting where our school community will come together to learn about this great new tool. The Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion developed the Equity Profile Dashboard (EPD) to provide data and transparency related to student opportunity, access, and achievement. The dashboard supports our commitment to use real-time data to identify and close gaps and to ensure that resources are shared equitably based on student needs.
Based on community feedback, the Equity Profile Dashboard compiles data in six categories: Student Demographics, Student Success, College & Career Readiness, Student Well-Being, School Climate, and Engaged Workforce. Phase 1 of the dashboard included: Student Demographics, Student Success (3rd Grade Reading SOL & Students who have taken Algebra 1 or higher Math by 8th Grade), and College & Career Readiness (AP/ IB/ Dual Enrollment/ On-Time Graduation rate/ Dropout rate). Phase 2 of the dashboard will include Student Well-Being, School Climate, and Engaged Workforce.
The APS community is invited to attend the 2 upcoming Community Conversations, held virtually on:
- Wednesday, October 19 at 7:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 16 at 7:00 p.m.
Register to attend here. Following the session, community members can provide input regarding the dashboard in this survey. This is invaluable feedback for the DEI team to help improve the dashboard.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope to see you there!
Reminder: Complete the Annual Online Verification Process (AOVP)
The Annual Online Verification Process (AOVP) is an opportunity for families to review and update vital student, parent and emergency contact information. It also contains important policies and authorizations. Families must complete this process by Oct. 31, 2022, to ensure that schools have accurate student information as we begin the school year. Families can access and complete the AOVP through their active ParentVUE account. ParentVue is the online portal that families use to monitor their student’s education, report absences, and communicate with teachers. To complete the AOVP, log into ParentVue on a desktop/laptop instead of using the app.
Contact your child’s school for assistance activating your ParentVue account, completing AOVP, or for additional support.
Parents of SENIORS: It is very important that your student(s) have a current email address listed in Naviance. Please encourage them to follow the steps for updating their email address. This link will only work when the student is logged into their APS My Access account. Students should be checking their Naviance accounts regularly, as this is how they can learn about and register for information about post-grad opportunities, including college information sessions.
Interim Progress Reports (IPRs) will be attached to student records in Synergy and available in ParentVUE/StudentVUE on Friday, October 7th at 10:00am.
Planning for College
- If you missed Senior Night for the class of 2023, you can view the recording of the presentation. It is also available on the Presentations page of the College and Career portion of the YHS Counseling website.
- You can view the recording of Finding the Right College Fit – Fall 2022, (Passcode 8Ecr@Fmy)
- Two upcoming presentations (Not sponsored by Yorktown or Arlington Public Schools):
- Paying for College, 10/6 at 7pm, VIRTUAL
- Presented by Jimmy Mauger, Financial Aid Manager, NVCC
- All Welcome. Best for current seniors and their families. Topics include FAFSA for the class of 2023, CSS Profile, finding scholarships, grants and loans
- Connect via ZOOM
- Little Known Secrets of Paying for College, 10/13 at 7:30pm, VIRTUAL
- Presented by The Funding Coach
- All Welcome. Best for families in grades 9-11. Discover strategies that may enable you to qualify for financial aid, sources for scholarships and minimizing your tax exposure.
- Register Here.
- Paying for College, 10/6 at 7pm, VIRTUAL
Military Academy Testing – October 12
Seniors who will be attending a military academy will need to complete a fitness assessment. An opportunity to complete this will be on Wednesday, October 12 (PSAT day) at 10 am. Please contact Bruce Hanson if you are interested in completing the fitness assessment at this time. There will be limited opportunities to do so this fall so plan accordingly. Students are responsible for communicating directly with Mr. Hanson and bringing their forms on October 12 to be completed.
Student Schedules Update
The opportunity for preferential changes in schedules has closed. Dropping a level or course due to difficulty must be done by October 7th. More information and counselor email addresses are on the YHS Counseling website.
September is Suicide Prevention Awareness Month
September is Suicude Prevention Awareness Month. Information on the new 988 Crisis & Suicide Prevention Hotline will be shared with students as well as information on breaking the stigma of Mental Health. Additional resources can be found on the following websites:
Halloween Movie Night sponsored by YHS Theatre
On October 7th at 5:30pm, the YHS Theatre community will be hosting a “spooky season” movie night showing “BeetleJuice” complete with popcorn, pizza, candy, and other spooky treats. Come to the courtyard (weather permitting) for a great time!
Where to find Athletics Information
Athletic Website – www.yorktownsports.org
Athletic Twitter – @yhssports
Athletic Specific Sport Information – www.teamapp.com
Upcoming Home Games
Stadium games will be live-streamed on the YHS Boosters website. Most away games can also be viewed on the NFHS Network by searching the opposing school’s name. Volleyball games can be watched on the NFHS Network with a subscription.
Next Week’s Home Games:
|10/3/2022||5:00 PM||Volleyball-FR||Bishop O’Connell|
Yorktown General Game Attendance Information
We look forward to seeing you at one of the above events. Please note the following:
- No backpacks or bags are allowed and no outside food or beverages can be brought into any home games.
- Anyone suspected to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol will not be admitted or will be asked to leave the event.
- Admission is $5 for adults, $2 for ages 6-18 and free for APS high school students at all fall sporting events except Varsity Football (see below). Tickets will be sold online before the game at https://gofan.co/app/school/VA24974 as well as at the gate (exact change is preferred)
Arlington Public Schools Varsity Football Attendance Information
Varsity football games are community events. For the safety and security of all those in attendance, in addition to the above rules, the following rules are in place:
- High-school age spectators must attend either Yorktown or the opposing school. IDs or StudentVue will be checked at the gate.
- Middle-school students (and younger) must be accompanied by their parent or guardian
- There will be designated seating areas for Yorktown students, Yorktown band and general spectators.
- Admission is $5 for all spectators at varsity football games.
PLAN AHEAD – Winter sports begin November 7 and spring sports begin February 20 (school holiday). In order to try out or participate in any sport, with the exception of ultimate frisbee and after-school weight lifting, students must have a valid VHSL/APS physical form on file for the current school year in the YHS activities office. Physicals can be sent by email to email@example.com Off-season workouts are typically announced on Team App.
Homecoming is October 14th Weekend
The Homecoming football game will be October 14 at 7 pm against Marshall with the dance on Saturday night, October 15 from 8-11 PM. Tickets will be sold on October 11, 13 and 14 during lunches and after school until 4 pm. Ticket price is $20 per person. All YHS students are welcome and guests will be welcome with a completed guest form. Guest form will be available next week.
Senior Portrait Make-Ups
Make-up dates for senior pictures are Saturday, October 15. Use the online scheduling program via schedule.prestigeportraits.com to reserve an appointment. To schedule your appointment without your 8-digit code, search by filtering the City & State and using your legal name. If you have already scheduled your Prestige Portrait, you may confirm or modify it online.
If you are unable to schedule online, please email the local Lifetouch office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Use the following information in the ‘Subject line’ of the email so you may be scheduled as soon as possible:
Yorktown High School- STUDENT NAME -Senior Appointment needed
Questions? Contact Cheryl Stotler in the Student Activities Office
Senior Class Meeting on October 6
Seniors will meet during Patriot Period on October 6
to review senior business and order Caps and Gowns for Graduation. There will also be a presentation on the Senior Experience program and important dates for participation.
- Office hours for students are:
- 7:45am – 8:20am
- Patriot Period
- All three Lunches
- 3:00pm – 3:20pm
- Any other time students can Book a time here
- All students are expected to follow technology use guidelines as set forth in the APS Acceptable Use Policy. Parents are encouraged to be knowledgeable about the policy as well. This link will provide access to the policy https://yhs.apsva.us/edtech/acceptable-use-policy-students/
- Reminder: students should be using school issued laptops – not personal laptops from home.
- For more information on Educational Technology resources including student accounts and the Acceptable Use Policy please visit: https://yhs.apsva.us/edtech/student-edtech
- October 1 – SAT Administered at Yorktown
- October 5 – Holiday – Yom Kippur Observance
- October 10 – Professional Learning Day (no school for students)
- October 12 – PSAT Day – Early Release for 10th and 11th graders (Asynchronous day for 9th and 12th grade students) Bus Transportation at 3:10 only