Tuesday and Thursday
3:15 – 4:15
Click here for the tutoring log.
About the Writing Center
The Writing Center offers a supportive environment for the study and practice of writing at Yorktown. Our goal is to help students become more confident and capable writers in a variety of disciplines.
The Center is staffed by faculty and trained peer tutors who provide one-to-one conferences as well as small group workshops to assist students at all levels of writing ability. We encourage experienced as well as inexperienced writers to come to the Center with their writing concerns.
The Writing Center can help students with all kinds of assignments. Students can bring project proposals for a science class, research papers for a history, art, or health class, and essays for an English class to the Center. Students can seek guidance about personal essays and cover letters for college, job, and internship applications. Students can also receive help as they prepare for the Standards of Learning assessments in Reading and Writing. Faculty and peer tutors can provide assistance at any stage of the writing process. We can help students with:
- discovering topics and generating ideas
- working toward a focus and organizing an argument
- finding relevant research and documenting supporting materials
- revising an existing piece of writing for greater clarity and cohesiveness
- understanding assignment guidelines and teacher comments
- identifying areas for improvement in papers and in overall writing style
Students are welcome to walk-in or schedule an appointment.